web analytics
Dec
09

Washington’s Winchester In Lot and Out Lot

By
When:
May 15, 2015 all-day
2015-05-15T00:00:00-04:00
2015-05-16T00:00:00-04:00

Compiled and written by Jim Moyer 12/15/2016, updated 4/9/2017

.

The IN LOT on the corner of Braddock St and Fairfax Lane was purchased by GW on May 15, 1753.  Three years later GW brought his blacksmith here for iron works needed for Fort Loudoun.  By the time of the Will, no improvements were left on that lot.

.

See Founders Online link on the will regarding Washington’s Winchester properties

.

Winchester

A lot in the Town of half an Acr. & another in the Commons of about 6 Acs.—supposed

[$]400 (u)

(u) As neither the lot in the Town or Common have any improvements on them, it is not easy to fix a price, but as both are well situated, it is presumed the price annexed to them in the Schedule, ⟨is a⟩ reasonable valu[atio]n.20

.

.

20. Washington obtained grants to two lots in Winchester in Frederick County         in May 1753. He seems to have paid them little or no attention until 1785 when he asked his rental agent Battaile Muse about them. He learned that Dr. Robert Mackay had enclosed the smaller lot in town and incorporated a part of it in his garden. Mackay apparently continued to make use of both lots, and on 19 Aug. 1794 Washington’s new rental agent Robert Lewis reported that Mackay had agreed to pay fifty shillings a year for their use. See GW to Battaile Muse, 28 July 1785, and Muse to GW, 6, 14 Sept. 1785 (Papers, Confederation Series description begins W. W. Abbot et al., eds. The Papers of George Washington, Confederation Series. 6 vols. Charlottesville, Va., 1992–97. description ends , 3:159–62, 233–35, 248–49).

.

.

—————————————-

BLACKSMITH SHOP on IN-LOT 77

Corner of Fairfax Lane and Braddock.  See More on Historical Sign

.

George Washington Lot Marker

.

Click on pictures to enlarge. Hit backspace to return here.

.

Caption on historical marker:  Site of lot 77 purchased by George Washington May 15, 1753. Sold by his executors on June 17, 1805 to Dr. Robert MacKey, surgeon in the American Revolution.   A blacksmith shop located here made iron work for Fort Loudoun.   The lot was 119 ft. on Braddock St. and 188.6 ft. on Fairfax Lane.

.

Washington’s property covers the corner of Braddock and Fairfax Lane.

.

Fairfax Lane Side of the Lot, with Marker beside the StreetA blacksmith shop was added  on Washington’s property in the city limits 3 years after purchasing it.

.

Notice the date.  This was a big day in Winchester: May 15, 1753. Many patents for land given that day.

.

.Braddock Street Face of the Lot

.

.

The lot was 119 ft. on Braddock St. covered those two houses show in picture on left,  and 188.6 ft. on Fairfax Lane, showing placement of the historical sign in picture above.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

 —————————————————————–

Military Prison

To clear up confusion, there was a military prison next to George Washington’s property but not on it.

 

Fort Loudoun superimposed 002xxxThe picture to the left, shows the location of a military prison for Fort Loudoun, located on western corner of Loudoun Street and southern side of W. Fairfax Lane.

.

Contrary to Katherine Glass Greene’s claim quoted below, this military prison was not on George Washington’s In-Lot 77 , located  on Braddock Street and Fairfax Lane, on which his blacksmith provided iron works for Fort Loudoun.

.

Click on pictures above to enlarge.

.

Frederick Morton on Page 82 in his book, “The Story of Winchester Virginia, The Oldest Town in the Shenandoah Valley,” first published 1925, reprinted by Heritage Books 2007, cited below, states that Washington “…was compelled to build a military prison on the west side of Main Street (Loudoun St) a little north of the corner occupied by Shenandoah Valley Bank “  (later First Union then Wachovia then Wells Fargo).

.

Publishing in 1926 a year later, Katherine Glass Greene states on Page 87   in her book, “Winchester, Virginia and its beginnings : 1743-1814. first published 1926, then by Heritage Books in 2007,”  “On a lot he [Washington] owned on Loudoun Street, north of the Shenandoah Valley National Bank corner, he had erected a military prison.

.

.

————————————————————

GW’s Out Lot

At this time law required  a lot outside city boundaries tied legally to an In-lot within city boundaries. These Out Lots formed a green belt around the urban concentration to use for gardening, livestock.

.

Here is the law regarding it. (LINK COMING SOON)

.

And this is the historical marker for Washington’s Out Lot connected to his In-lot 77, which allowed George Washington to be eligible to run for election later as well.   (PICTURE COMING SOON)

.

See article by an owner of this Out Lot for the Winchester Frederick County Historical Society.  (ARTICLE COMING SOON)

.

Washington’s Out Lot History Marker

.

——————————————-

LINKS

Founders Online Washington’s Will

.

Founders Online Washington’s Papers April 1799 to December 14, 1799

.

Founders Online All of Washington’s Papers

.

http://www.markerhistory.com/tag/winchester/

.

Lot 77 historical marker

.

Categories :

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

About Us History Explore & Learn Join & Support News & Events
Our Story War Timeline Visit Join Us! Calendar
Board of Directors Fort Loudoun Tour Donate Press
Contact Us Additional Forts Resources Volunteer Newsletters
  Baker-Hardy House Essay Contest Shop Archive