web analytics

Baker-Hardy House

Click on picture and move picture around with your mouse. The house is actually 419 N Loudoun St, but because the initial perspective of the picture is set, the wrong address of 424 N Loudoun shows in upper left corner.
.

.

Click on pictures to enlarge, then hit backspace to come back here.  The pictures below show the Baker-Hardy House in relation to the imprint of Fort Loudoun.

.

jolley archeological digcaptioned 419 N Loudoun Street aerial

ft front 2

     .

On December 30, 1837, the owner of the land on “Fort Hill,” William L. Clark, and his wife Louisa, sold to Joseph Baker, a Baptist minister, a lot of slightly more than one acre which encompassed all the former site of Fort Loudoun on the west side of North Loudoun Street in Winchester, Virginia. The deed noted there was already an “academy” on the lot, which Baker would operate as the Winchester Female Academy. Baker’s academy was located on the south end of the lot, near the corner of North Loudoun and Peyton Streets. The site of this academy is now occupied by the Fort Loudoun Apartments.

.

      On the north end of the Fort Hill lot, Baker would erect his home. The building was constructed over the west end of the former North Barracks and the west end of the north curtain of Fort Loudoun. Several feet from the southwest corner of Baker’s dwelling is the fort’s well, blasted and dug through solid limestone by John Christopher Heintz in 1756-58 to a depth of at least 103 feet. A portion of the west end of the house was built within the North Bastion of the fort. Prior to Reverend Baker’s death in 1855, he divided his Fort Loudoun property, retaining one-half acre at his home site, now 419 N. Loudoun, and selling the south academy site to one of his teachers.

.

    During the War Between the States the academy property was owned by William G. Kiger, whose house was depicted by Union Army soldier and artist, James E. Taylor. well at fort loudoun winchester va

.

The ownership of the Baker house changed hands several times throughout the remainder of the 19th century and into the 20th century, while the former Fort Loudoun property continued and was expanded as a seat of learning.

.

     At one period, the school property was owned by the chairman of the Winchester School Board and was rented as part of the public school system. John W. Darlington purchased Reverend Baker’s former home in 1886. It remained in the Darlington family until 1954, when it was sold to Anne Quirk Hardy and passed as a deed of gift to Ralph Lee Hardy in 1989. The lot, dwelling and well, were sold to the French and Indian War Foundation in 2002.

About Us History Explore & Learn Join & Support News & Events
Our Story War Timeline Visit Join Us! Calendar
Board of Directors Fort Loudoun Tour Donate Press
Contact Us Additional Forts Resources Volunteer Newsletters
  Baker-Hardy House Essay Contest Shop Archive