web analytics

James Wood

BIOGRAPHY ON JAMES WOOD

By Wilbur S Johnston.

.

.


James Wood’s Mourning Ring

Our only source on his death date and birth year.

.

.


James Wood’s Only Election

Story on James Wood’s first and only election.

.

.


Letters between GW and James Wood

Letters between George Washington and James Wood. 

The first two letters regard James Wood the founder of Winchester VA, but all the other James Wood letters are the son who later became Clerk of Court when his father died in 1759.

.

.

———————————————————————–

MARRIAGE, CHILDREN

James the founder married Mary the daughter of Captain Thomas Rutherford, the  first Sheriff of Frederick

.

Col. Wood and Capt. Rutherford were living  in Old Orange County in 1738, we assume the marriage was solemnized in that  County. The following is copied from an old note-book of James Wood, now in possession of one of his descendants, daughter of Col. Glass:

.

Children of James Wood Jr. and Mary Rutherford—

(1) Elizabeth, born Sept. 20, 1739

(2) James ” Jany. 28, 1741

(3) Mary ” Sept. 23, 1742

(4) John ” Jany. 1, 1743—44

(5) Robert, ” July 27, 1747

.

http://files.usgwarchives.net/va/frederick/history/homesteads02.txt

.

.

————————————————————————————

JAMES WOOD’S ONLY ELECTION

This is about the senior James Wood (born 1707- died 6 Nov 1759) and NOT his son of the same name who later became Governor of Virginia.

.

James Wood was appointed the first  Clerk of Court November 14, 1743 of Frederick County, which had been created in 1738 out of Orange County.

.

He had already been appointed as Surveyor of Orange County 1734 and is credited for designing both Richmond 1737 and Winchester Virginia 1741, chartered 1752.

.

But the story here?  An election.

The only one he ever  ran for. Our senior James Wood, was one of 6 candidates for Burgess in Orange County, 20 November 1741.

.

Polling started at noon and a whole day of drunken chaos ensued into this November  night.

.

————————————————————————————

CLERK OF COURT

On Tuesday, November 14th, 1743, eight persons took the  magistrates’ oath, and composed the court. Morgan Morgan and David Vance administered the oath to Marquis Calmes, Thomas  Rutherford, William M’Mahon, Meredith Helmes, George Hoge  and. John White.

.

These, in turn, administered the oath to Morgan  Morgan and David Vance. James Wood was made Clerk of the  County, and Thomas Rutherford, Sheriff. James Porteus, John  Steerman, George Johnston, and John Newport, gentlemen, taking  the oath of attornies, were admitted to the Bar.

.

Winchester was  the county seat. At the second meeting of the court, December  9th, 1743, the will of Benjamin Burden, who had been named as  magistrate, was proved.

.

Barnet Lindsey received twenty lashes on  his bare back, at the common whipping-post, for stealing’ two pieces  of venison from the milk house of Thomas Hart, adjudged to be  worth two pence: Henry Howard, servant to James M’Crachan,  ‘was adjudged guilty of a misdemeanor, on charge of stealing a mare  from Samuel Glass, and received ten lashes on his bare back,  December 10th.

.

In another case of horse stealing — or rather horse  riding — taking a man’s horse without leave, and riding off on a  visit for some days — the defendant had his choice of twenty lashes  or fifteen shillings fine : the same Henry Howard was complained  of by his master, James M’Crachan, that he had been absent eleven  days, and that in finding him and bringing him back, the expenses  had been twenty shillings, and one hundred and fifty pounds of  tobacco ; and the court ordered that he serve six months and four  days for his runaway time and expenses, after the expiration of his  time of servitude according to law, unless he could otherwise satisfy  his master.

.

In March, 1744, ordered that James O’Neal keep the  Court House clean, and attend on court days to take care of the  Justices’ horses during a twelvemonth, for which he is to receive  from the county levy £23 15s. current money.

.

The above is from:

Sketches of Virginia : historical and biographical  by Foote, William Henry, 1794-1869, Published 1856, pages 17-18

.

About Us History Explore & Learn Join & Support News & Events
Our Story War Timeline Visit Join Us! Calendar
Board of Directors Fort Loudoun Tour Donate Press
Contact Us Additional Forts Resources Volunteer Newsletters
  Baker-Hardy House Essay Contest Shop Archive