web analytics

Winchester VA Street Name Changes

Compiled by Jim Moyer 2/23/2016, still under construction, updated 10/18/16, 3/19/2019

.

Click on any picture to enlarge.

 

.

.


THE ORIGINAL STREET NAMES

AS PROPOSED BY JAMES WOOD


 

  1. Loudoun……………..to honor Lord Loudoun

  2. Cameron……………..to honor Lord Fairfax

  3. Boscawen…………….to honor Admiral Boscawen

.

Originally they were all named the above names.

.

James Wood, founder of Winchester VA,  submitted the layout of the town in 1752 and then another addition in 1758 with those names to the House of Burgesses for approval.

.

Then at some point those street names changed:

.

winchester-street-names

Loudoun Street became . . .  Main Street

.

Cameron Street became . . .  Market Street

.

Boscawen Street became . . . Water Street

.

.

.

In 1926 City Council changed all the streets back to their original names.

.

.

Wednesday, March 3, 1926 edition of the Winchester Evening Star:

.

image-9

.

.

.

Boscawen was one of the streets changed from Water Street back to its original name of Boscawen.

.

Boscawen shared a connection to 2 other streets.

.

Boscawen along with Wolfe and Amherst are linked as the 3 heroes in the reduction of Fortress Louisbourg in 1758.

.

.


When were those 3 streets built?


.

1752 Addition. Source is listed in this link. Also, click or touch picture to enlarge

.

The plan for

the street

Boscawen

(Water Street)

first shows up

in 1744

but was

submitted to the

House of Burgesses

by James Wood in 1752.

.

At that time

the street was

not named.

.

.

.

1758 Addition. See source in this link. Click or Touch to Enlarge Picture.

.

The plan for the streets,

Amherst and Wolfe,

were submitted

to the House of Burgesses

by James Wood in 1758.

.

All 3 streets

were then named in 1758

for the heroes

 in the “reduction”

of Fortress Louisbourg.

.

Those 3 streets, Boscawen, Amherst, Wolfe  did not get built until at least after 1777, as this map below shows none of those 3 streets yet:

.

Click on image to enlarge.

.

Wilbur S Johnston overlaid the modern streets on to the 1777 map by a Hessian Prisoner.

.

The Winchester Book Gallery on the corner of Loudoun and Piccadilly Streets on the north end of the walking mall.

.

.

 

.


Seige of Louisbourg

Winchester and this Fortress Louisbourg have something in common.

8 June 1758 to 26 July 1758

.

Source of photo: SEPTEMBER 19, 2017 BY BILL BRADLEY … Article on website Cape 94.9 radio station. $9.2 million will be spent on flood protection in light of rising sea levels and more intense storms. The fragile Barrier Beach will be reinforced and the Quay Wall raised. ….

Fortress Louisbourg

in Canada,

shown  here

on the left,

is why

Winchester VA

has 4 streets,

Amherst,

Boscawen,

and Wolfe

named for the

3 heroes

who

attacked

fortress Louisbourg

between

8 June 1758 to

26 July 1758,

and a 4th,

Lord  Loudoun,

who was going to fight it in 1757.

.

Photo  from Cape 94.9 Radio

.

.

.


Winchester Streets

with a

FRENCH AND INDIAN WAR

connection


 

.

Braddock Street

.

Stewart Street

.

Washington Street

.

Amherst Street

.

Morgan Street (for Daniel Morgan)

.

Wolfe Street

.

Cork Street

.

Fairfax Lane

.

.

Loudoun Street

.

Cameron Street

.

Boscawen Street

 

.

Leicester Street

Based on Leicester House

which housed Lord Bute

as advisor

to the future George III

.

This one is different.

The Monmouth Rebellion was big

in the minds of the English

to go Protestant

and after a  few  years

William and Mary made it happen 1688.

.

Monmouth Street  

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.


.

Winchester map 1777 002

Click on map to enlarge.  This map was drawn by a Hessian prisoner in 1777, nineteen years after the Fort Loudoun (1756-1758) was constructed.

.

Winchester VA Street Name Changes

The following street names are involved

.

loudoun-street-looking-south-evans-hotel

Picture from Handley Library’s Stewart Bell Jr Archives.

.

Click on Picture to enlarge.

.

Once you click on the picture to enlarge,

the building on the right still exists.

It is now Wells Fargo,

formerly Wachovia,

formerly First Union,

formerly Shenandoah Valley Bank.

.

Building on the left is no longer there

and now replaced by building

holding Bank of Clarke County.

Hit Backspace to return here

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

 

About Us History Explore & Learn Join & Support News & Events
Our Story War Timeline Visit Join Us! Calendar
Board of Directors Fort Loudoun Tour Donate Press
Contact Us Additional Forts Resources Volunteer Newsletters
  Baker-Hardy House Essay Contest Shop Archive